Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Random Memory

Never fails...every July I seem to remember some little detail that doesn't cross my mind the rest of the year. 

Friday, July 22, 1988.  My boss "Ava" said I was looking tired and she wanted me to start coming in at noon tomorrow.  I was tired.  Before I was pregnant I stood a whole whopping 5'1" and 93 lbs dripping wet.  Here I was looking like I was carrying twins because my body was so small the baby had nowhere to go but out and my legs were tired and swollen.  "Ava" handed me a huge bag of Kolaches her mother had sent home with her when she went to visit them.  These Kolaches weren't the little sausages wrapped in dough, oh no, these were were the real things...sweet, delicious, fruit topped pastries made by a Czech woman.  These things were pure heaven!!

I got home and changed clothes.  My boyfriend canceled our date (which seems to be happening more and more lately) and he promised we would go out the next night.  My younger sister left that morning for a mission trip in Biloxi, Mississippi.  My cousin who was a year younger than me and living with us was at work.  My Mom was off somewhere, who knows where.  We left my Adoptive Father the summer before and moved into these apartments.  The apartments were decent, I felt somewhat safe there.  There was a boy named "Johnny" who lived in our apartments, he was a little younger than me and he ran around with my sister, he loved to give her grief...maybe that was why I thought of him as my little brother :-)

"Johnny" came by, he didn't know what to do since he didn't have my sister around to bug.  I took my Kolaches and my nail polish caboodle (remember Caboodles?) and went outside with him.  He was watching me struggle trying to get the old nail polish off my toes while he was eating the Kolaches.  I had trouble reaching my toes with my huge belly in the way.  He giggled and said he would do it for me, he had older sisters so he knew how to paint toes.  I let him since I was too hot, tired, and uncomfortable to do it.

I don't remember much of our conversation that evening.  I do remember saying I couldn't wait to see my toes again.  I feel a little bad about saying that, I didn't want my time with my baby to be over with, I just wanted to see my toes again...my Estee Lauder Hibiscus Pink toes.

17 days until her 23rd birthday...

No comments: